What is the Draft Living Active Sport & Recreation Plan 2015-2020?
This draft Plan is a key action of the City of Unley's Community Plan 2033, and sets the direction for the next five years for Council in providing, promoting and advocating for sport and recreation opportunities to build the capacity of the community to lead a physically active lifestyle. The draft Plan also enables the delivery of some of the actions within City of Unley's 'Living Well' Regional Public Health Plan.
Why has Council developed the draft Sport & Recreation Plan 2015-2020
The draft Plan has been developed to address key actions of the Community Plan 2033 and 'Living Well' Public Health Plan, as well as to guide Council's approach to sport and recreation and encouraging the community to be physically active. The Plan also guides the use of resources and aims to leverage resources from other sources to achieve outcomes that benefit our community.
What is the draft Sport and Recreation Policy?
This policy is a review of the current Recreation Policy, and has been revised to better align with the new draft Sport and Recreation Plan. It sets the higher level policy direction for Council in its role in providing sport and recreation opportunities.
How has the draft Plan been developed?
The draft Plan has been developed internally by Council's Sport & Recreation Planner, through consultation with key Council staff and Elected Members. The draft Plan has also been shaped following community consultation during 2014, that involved input from over 800 residents, as well as consultation with sports clubs and community groups.
How is Council consulting on the draft Plan and Policy?
Following the input of over 800 residents, sporting clubs and community groups during 2014, the draft Plan has now been developed and we want input from the wider community to help Council finalise the Plan. Consultation is currently happening via:
- Council's Your Say Unley website
- Letters and emails to key stakeholders, including sports clubs and peak sporting bodies, community groups, schools, other government agencies
- Council's Community & Culture Committee
The draft Plan is available to view online (Your Say Unley website) or in hard copy at Council's libraries and community centres.
What are the key sections of the draft Plan?
In a nutshell, the draft Plan includes:
- A series of definitions and Council's role regarding sport and recreation facilities, programs and services
- The relationship of the Plan with other local, state and national planning frameworks
- A snapshot of participation in the City of Unley, including an overview for each sport and recreation and Council's role in responding to this
- A guiding vision and series of principles
- A set of strategic directions and actions, including an implementation and evaluation plan
How much will it cost to deliver?
Much of the draft Plan can be delivered within existing budgets and resources. The draft Plan identifies funding of $890K for delivery, however much of this is to be allocated to facility developments including the development of a dog park, play spaces, and the delivery of the Goodwood Oval and Millswood Sporting Complex improvement plan. This funding is intended to leverage other funding and be undertaken in partnership with other agencies.
How can I get involved and stay informed?
You can respond to the survey on this website (Your Say Unley), and you may also:
- email your comments directly to email@example.com
- phone 8372 5111
- Write to the City of Unley, 'Sport and Recreation Plan', 181 Unley Road, UNLEY SA 5061
Ongoing updates will be placed on Council's Your Say Unley website
What happens with my feedback and what are the next steps?
Your feedback will be considered and any necessary amendments will be made to the draft Plan. All feedback will also be collated and presented to Council for their information (names and contact information will remain confidential).
The feedback period closes at 5.00pm, on Monday 1 June 2015. The draft Plan will then be presented to Council in late June for endorsement.