What is Forestville Reserve used for?
Forestville Reserve Park caters to a wide range of recreation uses and is a popular location for the local
community as a public park, play space, dog exercise and playing sport.
Forestville Reserve also surrounds the Unley Swimming Centre and is also
located near train and tram stops.
What is the background of this project?
During early 2013, Council developed a plan to guide future improvements at Forestville Reserve. Key outcomes of this plan were to upgrade the playground in its existing location (completed in early 2014) and to restore the area surrounding the skate park following the completion of rail corridor projects and the culvert outlet in the reserve.
What is the need for upgraded recreation facilities at Forestville Reserve?
Forestville Reserve is identified in Council’s Open Space Recreation Strategy 2004-2014 as a district open space, providing opportunities for a range of activities, including youth activities, play, fitness, walking and cycling, dog exercise and access to the Unley Swimming Centre. Additionally, previous community consultation has helped to inform the key priorities.
Council has allocated funding and has also received funding from the State Government to ensure the upgrades can be completed.
Where will the works occur?
The upgrades will mostly be undertaken in the area near the skate park, above the new culvert. Additionally, a shade structure will be installed over the new playground.
What works will occur?
- A shade structure for the new playground (currently underway)
- Restoration of lawn areas around the skate park
- Restoration of basketball half-court and a new netball court area
- Restoration of lighting and other landscaping around the pedestrian and cycle path
- New fitness equipment, including an upgrade of the existing equipment
- Enhancement of the new culvert opening, including planting
- Resurfacing of the skate park (to provide a smoother finish)
- Plantings along northern side of tram overpass within the reserve
When will the works be completed?
Works are planned to commence in October 2014 and the majority of works are planned for completion in March
2015, subject to site and weather conditions.
How will areas within the reserve be impacted?
Only the areas where works are planned will be temporarily closed with many areas within the park remaining open. Council will endeavour to minimise disruption during the works. Notices will be placed in the park advising the community of the works in advance.